Monday, January 9, 2012

Tortilla and Black Bean Pie

We had some friends over the other night and I made a very modified version of Martha Stewart's Tortilla and Black Bean Pie.

Here is her recipe:

Ingredients (serves 6):
  • 4 flour tortillas (10 inches)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno chile, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 12 ounces beer, or 1 1/2 cups water (I used Bud Light with Lime)
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
  • 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (2 1/2 cups)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan. Use the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
  3. Add beans and beer, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in corn and scallions, and remove from heat. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
  4. Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of springform pan; layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer. Bake until cheese melts, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove side of pan; sprinkle pie with scallions. To serve, slice into wedges.
The tortillas I bought didn't need to be trimmed- they fit right into my springform pan.  Also, because this was originally a vegetarian recipe and we were having company, I added a layer of browned ground beef in (which I suggest seasoning).  I also made some refried beans that I used as the bottom layer to "anchor" the other two layers in.  I also forgot to add the corn into the black bean mixture (that's what I get for rushing around trying to get ready for our friends), so my husband helped me take off the layers and shove some corn in there.  It turned out fine.  :)

I honestly really enjoyed this recipe.  It would have been great with chicken instead of the ground beef.  I had sour cream, salsa, and warm queso out to use as condiments (which was good because the recipe was slightly dry).  And it must have been somewhat good, because the couple Facebooked me and asked for the recipe!  Yay. 

FRIENDS:
My husband and I have been making an effort to have people over more lately.  Now that I am done with school and we have more time, our evenings are pleasantly free.  And since I love any excuse to cook/ bake/ play hostess, it really makes me feel special.  I have enjoyed the last two weeks of guests and am really looking forward to who we will have over in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment