Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Time to Get a Gun

I know gun control is a hot issue in America.  Where I live, hunting is common, guns are common, and many of my friends have their Conceal and Carry licenses.  I didn't grow up with guns.  Actually, it turns out that I did grow up with guns in the house, but I wasn't aware of it....yikes.  Thanks, mom and dad.  My husband comes from a family that hunts.  He learned to shoot and about gun safety when he was five.  I am pretty scared of guns.  I hate the thought of what could happen accidentally.  But I also can't stand to think that someday the awful thing could be that I don't know how to use a gun.  I asked Lee to start teaching me how to really handle a gun.  I've gone skeet shooting or target shooting a few times for fun, but I want to be able to defend myself if the time ever comes.

My brother and Lee and I went to Lee's family land over the weekend and did some target shooting.  I have to say, it is extremly satisfying to shoot a can of soda off the target and watch it explode.  Who knew?  We made our own target out of a box Lee had originally planned to make into a plyometrics box.











Did you grow up with guns?  Do you have them now?  Do you have any advice for me?

***A gold star for you if you recognized the post title as Miranda Lambert lyrics.

1 comment:

  1. ha! the miranda lambert song, yes i know that. I grew up hunting with brothers and rifling at camp. I quite liked it. Made me feel tough!

    ReplyDelete