Tuesday, January 10, 2012

No New Things

So today I was going to blog about the wonderfulness that is my Kose Softymo Cleansing Oil from amazon.  The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I am so often entranced by things.  I am such a typical American consumer, caught up in the world and the things it tells me I need.  I read about something on a blog or in a magazine, and I'm to the store or purchasing it on Amazon before I even realize it.  And I'm often giddy with the chance to try something new.  I love the experience of exploring a new beauty product or making a new recipe.  If I'm sad, I buy some lipgloss.  Going to a party?  I need a new dress.

But at the end of the day, those things are only things.  Things that I let get in the way of my relationship with God.  Things are ok when I remember that they are only things.  But sometimes I forget.  I choose to forget.  How terrible!  How seriously wretched am I! 

So for the next 30 days, I am committing myself to buy no new things.  I have more than enough.  If I run out of something, that's different (if I actually run out of laundry detergent or something practical, not like I'm "almost out" of mascara).  Just to challenge myself to stop being so materialistic and give the focus back to God.  What if instead of walking around Target for an hour I meditate upon His words?  Sit down and just soak in His goodness?

This will be hard for me.  Harder than I even realize yet.  But it needs to happen.  Has to happen.  I need to get out of my own way for once and let Him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment