Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fake Butterfingers

Is anyone else out there as addicted to Pinterest as I am? I love the site and frequent it daily. I have the app on my phone. My sister and I send pictures and ideas via text message multiple times a week. Instead of browsing the web for cooking/ craft/ beauty ideas, I simply pull up the "Everything" tab and have it all at my fingertips.

Last night I attempted the butterfingers recipe from Plain Chicken's blog. Thank you, Plain Chicken and Pinterest!!! (http://www.plainchicken.com/2010/11/homemade-butterfingers.html?m=1). I loved that the recipe only called for three ingredients (hey, I am still a poor college student).

I went to my parents' for our weekly NCIS night and set the ingredients out on the counter- a jar of honey roasted peanut butter and a bag of candy corn. My sweet momma came up and asked "Oh, you're making butterfingers?". I was amazed at her powers of deduction, because I would have never guessed that! Ever! My mom is a genius.

I could only find a 24 oz bag of candy corn at my baby Target store (which meant that after I measured out two cups I had some to snack on, yum). Baby Target also did not carry the candy coat. Boo. I drizzled melted chocolate chips on top of some of my pieces, but it wasn't that good. I wouldn't recommend that.

On a side note, dark chocolate can be dairy free. But I have yet to find any dark chocolate, dairy free chips. Which is probably a sign to just stay away, but I love it so.

I found that the candy corn cooled very quickly and also got very hot, so be careful to stir quickly and use pot holders. I had to swap out my spatula for a wooden spoon to keep up with the rough consistency.




I was very happy with this recipe and would make it again. I actually really enjoyed eating mine plain and may not even bother with the candy coating in the future. If you plan on shaping the mixture for pops or using a cookie cutter, you might want to grease your hands slightly.




To change the subject to one of my favorite subjects... The hubs is currently in North Carolina for Rescue School. It sounds pretty awesome. The military has given him some great opportunities, and I'm so thankful God has lead us down this road. God really knows what He's doing. Someday maybe I will learn to be patient and trust Him. That's the goal anyway.

He sent me this picture of him rappelling after a morning lecture. Looks awesome. I wish I was getting paid to go rappelling! I also wish I got paid to sit on my couch in my flannel pj's watching Wizards of Waverly Place, but that's probably not going to happen too soon, so I'll hang onto my day job.




He is so cute!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment