Friday, February 25, 2011

Platinum Rule

Today I went to Pryor for work training.  I was excited to hear that our guest speaker after lunch was going to talk about helping families who have military members in the family.  Though I don't have any kids in my class with military members in their family, I have in the past and know that I probably will again in the future.  The information given was really helpful, and I really enjoy learning new things.  I learned that parenting stress doubles during deployment, and that 1 in 5 kids show distress while a parent is deployed.  The guest speaker emphasized the Platinum Rule- Do unto others as you would have them do unto others.  Though I don't actually think that we need the platinum rule as I think the golden rule still sums it all up, I think it is good to remember to speak kind to others because we don't always know what they are going through.

Here are some links to two videos that I thought highlighted the importance of the relationships between kids and their military parent:
Sailor and Son
Military Reunions

Here are some links to some of the info I liked:
Zero to Three
Military One Source
7 Cs of Resilience
MFLC

I felt like the training was speaking exactly to me.  Lee leaves for bootcamp and technical school in just over two weeks- yikes!  I've been living in denial, but they truth is that it is creeping up on me.  I need to stop pretending that it isn't happening and start focusing on the fact that he's leaving.  It makes me sad and I usually cry when we talk about it. 

I also learned that I'm going to Dallas for work training two days before Lee leaves...which means that we will be having our goodbye before he leaves for 6 months.  I am really not sure how I feel about it yet.  Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad.  I am really excited about the training, but I think it will make it harder to learn the material when I'm busy blubbering into Kleenex in the back row.

Are you from a military family?  Do you have any advice for me as Lee is leaving?

No comments:

Post a Comment