Sunday, May 30, 2010

Milk

Growing up, we didn't eat a lot of dairy because of our "allergies."  Tonight I plan to ask my mom if we were allergic to the milk or if she felt that dairy made our other allergies worse.

As a result, I still can take or leave dairy products.  I do love a good cheese plate with a glass of wine, but don't see much use for dairy in my daily life.  Not only do I not like the taste of milk, dairy often makes me sick.  I've planned to go to the doctor more than once to have him figure out if it's a milk allergy or lactose intolerance, but it's always seemed easier to just avoid dairy instead.

I've been drinking soy for a few years.  I'm not wild about the taste, but I can handle it mixed with something else.  I'll never drink a glass, but will pour it over my cereal anyday.  I also like that soy milk lasts for a long time before it expires, which is especially helpful since I eat lunch and breakfast at work each day.  However, recently I've noticed a lot of buzz that too much soy can be bad for you.

As I researched my different milk options (cow's milk, soy milk, rice milk, almond milk), I grew confused.  Basically, it seemed to me that none of them are really that much better or worse for you.  It comes down to a matter of preference.

So I have some rice milk in the fridge.  I'll let you know what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment