Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What a Difference af Friend Makes

I woke up this morning at 4:45.  On my own.  Let me assure you, this has never happened before.  There have been some nights that turned in to mornings, thus granting me the upcoming view of 4:45 as it approached.  But never have I found 4:45 after a night of sleep.  And of course...

I couldn't get back to sleep.  So I watched the news.  All of it.  Until Good Morning America was over...that's a good four hours of news for anyone keeping count.

Lee had left for work at about 5:15 and taken the Xterra with him.  Which meant that I was stranded in the house (his little pickup can't navigate over the bumpy, icy roads).  I texted Lee's cousin Derek a somewhat desperate, somewhat nice message saying "Take me to the gym so I can run and not go crazy!".  (Ok, it sounded much better than that, but the underlying tone was very anxious.  Surprising how fast exercise becomes addicting.) Luckily Derek was a gentleman and willing to take me to All American.  He and his sister Danae pulled up in his white Xterra and we were off to the gym.

I was especially excited to work out today and use my new (PINK!!!) Nike+ Sportband.  It was a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law, and I adore it.  It accurately recorded my miles, pace, calories, and time.  It's easy to use, and I feel like a real runner when I use it.  And it's pink.

Today's miles were rough.  I was being a big-time baby and wasn't sure I was going to make it through the first mile.  (I told you I was being a wimp.) Just when I was thinking about walking, Danae started cheering for me at each lap.  From the direction of the ellipical machines I would hear a hearty "Good Job Katherine" or "Go Katherine".  That encouragement made it easy for me to fly through my 5k.  Danae even joined me on my final two laps.  What a difference a friend makes.

Thank you Derek for getting me to the gym!  And thank you Danae for keeping me there!

Today's Stats: 5K in 33.23 minutes
First mile: 9.54 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment